Below is a great short story assignment I have created for an English class. It can easily be used in other subjects as well.
Please select 2 short stories from the following site to read:
Directions: After each short story you read (so you will do this assignment 2 times) you will need to complete the following questions:
- What is the name of author?
- Google this author and tell me in 100-200 words about them (DO NOT COPY AND PASTE summarize what you read).
- Please summarize the short story (in your own words) (minimum of 150 words).
- Did you like the short story, why or why not? (Minimum of 150 words).
- Write an essay on the following prompt: Using your summary and research of the author as part of the essay, explain what might have influenced the author to write this short story. Why was happening during the time period, what was happening in the author’s own life, etc. to help explain. (Minimum of 450 words).
- Site your sources at the end of the essay in MLA Format.
INCLUDE THE SOURCES YOU USED TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT THE AUTHOR IN MLA FORMAT
ALL WRITING MUST BE IN MLA FORMAT
MLA Format Reminder:
In upper left hand of paper:
Date (28 June 2013) (Just like this do not include a comma)
Title (centered) (No underline or italics)
Thesis statement at the end of your first paragraph
Body paragraphs that tie into your thesis
Conclusion that recaps main points an thesis statement
Works Cited in MLA format
Please click HERE to visit Purdue Owl for more information on MLA format and writing examples.